USS THE SULLIVANS DD 537, DESTROYER

  • Class: Fletcher
  • Commissioned: 1943
  • Decommissioned: 1965
  • Displacement: 2,050 Tons
  • Rated Speed: 35 Knots
  • Length: 376 Feet
  • Beam (width): 39 Feet
  • Complement: 290 Enlisted, 20 Officers

The five Sullivan brothers enlisted in the Navy and served together aboard the cruiser USS Juneau. On 13 November 1942, while fighting off Guadalcanal, the five brothers died with seven hundred other sailors when the USS Juneau was sunk by a Japanese submarine. President Roosevelt directed that one of the new Fletcher class detroyers be named after the brothers. The USS The Sullivans was launched in San Francisco on April 4, 1943.

The ship sported the shamrock of Ireland on her forward stack and sailed into World War II with 23 crew members named Sullivan. She fought in the Marshalls, Carolines, Mariannas and Philippines and earned nine battle stars. After deployment in Korea, the Cuban blockade, and the rescue efforts for the sub Thresher, she was laid up. The vessel was acquired by the City of Buffalo and is on display at the Buffalo and Erie county Naval & Servicemen’s park. It has been designated as a National Historic Landmark.